Mathematics Major: Teacher Certification
Math is important. Teaching math to the next generation, even more so. Our Department of Mathematics partners with the College of Education to provide you with a well-rounded preparation for teaching Mathematics in the secondary classroom. The mathematics curriculum covers the topics presented in that venue with sufficient depth to support a meaningful understanding of the concepts necessary to teach. After completing the requirements from the Department of Mathematics and COE, you will have completed the necessary coursework to apply for certification in the State of Alabama.
- Math courses designed to deepen understanding in secondary subject matter.
- The curriculum includes experiences with technology to support learning/teaching.
- The program supports the development of the ability to relate Mathematics to others.
- Sufficient hours in Mathematics for a major.
- COE coursework fulfill the requirements for a minor.
- Graduates are highly employable.
- Mathematics Club
- Kappa Mu Epsilon Honor Society
- Recognition of outstanding scholars: Killebrew Scholarship, University Scholar
- Participation in campus wide activities: Science Fairs, Elementary Science Olympiad, etc.
- Opportunities to support fellow students in the Math Tutoring Lab
- Participation in research: Undergraduate Research Symposium
Graduates that successfully complete the Mathematics program with certification quickly find employment either in the public or private school systems in Alabama. Most continue their education pursuing either a Master’s Degree in Education (M. Ed.) or in the Art of Teaching (M.A.T.).
Natural Sciences and Mathematics contact Hazel Truelove at (205) 652-3747.