Education Specialist (Non-Certification) Library Media
This degree does not qualify a student for any teaching certificate in the State of Alabama. Out-of-state students should check carefully the certification requirements of their respective state.
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to this program, the prospective student must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies and hold a valid master’s degree with at least 18 hours in Library Media coursework.
I. Professional Courses: 12 hours
- ED 601. Curriculum Design (3)
- ED 602. Challenges in Rural Education (3)
- ED 603. Leadership for Enhanced Student Achievement (3)
- ED 604. Advanced Educational Research (3)
II. Instructional Support Area: 21 hours
- LM 661. Strategic Planning for School Library Media Specialists (3)
- LM 662. Library Automation (3)
- LM 663. Instructional Design (3)
- LM 664. Developmentally Appropriate and Culturally Responsible School Library Media Programs (3)
- LM 665. Designing School Library Media Centers (3)
- LM 666. The School Library Media Center and School Reform (3)
- LM 667. Library Leadership and Collaborative Problem Solving (3)
Total Required: 33 hours
- This program is also offered online.
Program Completion Requirements
- The following requirements must be met prior to completion of the sixth-year programs.
The candidate shall:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.50 in all courses in the approved program as verified on an official transcript with no grade less than “C.”
- Make a satisfactory score on a written comprehensive examination documenting mastery of the curriculum of the teacher education program.
- Demonstrate leadership ability in his or her area of specialization.