Master of Education (Certification) High School (6-12)
Program Admission Requirements
To be admitted to these programs, the prospective educator candidate must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies, including fingerprints/verification of background clearance, and hold a valid bachelor’s level Professional Educator Certificate in the same teaching field(s) in which the Class A Professional Educator Certificate is sought.
I. Professional Courses: 19 hours
- ED 500. Foundations of Education (3)
ED 501. Educational Planning (3)
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
- ED 505. Technology and Education (3)
- ED 508. Technology Portfolio (1)
- EP 500. Advanced Educational Psychology (3)
EP 506. Life-Span Development and Learning (3)
- CO 547. Counseling Multicultural Populations (3) *
- Advisor approved elective (3)
II. Teaching Field Courses: 15 hours
- English Language Arts
- Social Science
English Language Arts educator candidates must include EH 501. Research in Literary Studies (3). Educator candidates in English Language Arts must also take EH 580. Teaching Composition (3), if they have no previous credit for the course. Educator candidates pursuing the M.Ed. History [Certification] must complete at least six hours of coursework in U.S. History and six hours of coursework in non-U.S. History. The six hours of U.S. History must include courses covering both pre-and post-Civil War U.S. History. Educator candidates majoring in English Language Arts, Science, or Social Science must take courses in at least two areas of certification. Social Science majors must complete nine hours of history courses (three of which must be in non-US history) and six hours of graduate anthropology, economics, political science, psychology, or sociology courses. Entering international students in English, Language Arts, History or Social Science must have a minimum TOEFL score requirement of 550 on the paper-based TOEFL or 79 on the iBT, 6.5 on the IELTS, or 1200 on the GTEC CBT, or the equivalent.
Total Required: 34 hours
Program Completion Requirements
The educator candidate shall:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.25 or better in all courses in the approved program as verified on an official transcript with no grade below “C.”
- Make a satisfactory score on a written comprehensive examination documenting mastery of the curriculum of the program.
- *Educator candidates who have not previously met the special education requirement must take a general survey course in special education SE 500 or if they have credit for a previous general special education course they will need to take CO 547.
- This program is also offered online.
Requirements for Alabama Class A Certification
- Meet all program requirements.
- Hold a valid bachelor’s level professional educator certificate in the same teaching field(s) in which the Class A Professional Educator Certificate is sought.
- Have an official transcript from a regionally accredited institution documenting an earned master’s degree.
The Educator Preparation Program and the Educator Certification Program are governed by the Alabama State Department of Education, and the College of Education reserves the right to change requirements in these programs at any time when such changes are mandated by the State Department.