Master of Science in Guidance and Counseling
This degree does not lead to certification by the Alabama State Department of Education. Out-of-state students should check carefully the certification requirements of their respective states.
Program Admission Requirements
Phase I: Graduate School Admission.
- Meet the requirements to be admitted to the School of Graduate Studies.
- Provide verification of background clearance/fingerprints.
Phase II: Counseling Program Admissions Portfolio
Candidates must submit a portfolio to the Counselor Education Program for review. The portfolio affords a candidate to provide valuable information regarding:
- Relevance of Career Goals
- Aptitude for Graduate-level study
- Potential success in forming effective counseling relationships
- Respect for Cultural differences.
- Resume including educational background, a record of employment, and volunteer activities.
- Professional Goals Essay
- Three completed Recommendation for Admission Forms.
I. Professional Courses: 9 hours
- CO 506. Life-Span Development and Learning (3)
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
- ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
II. Concentration Courses: 39 hours
- CO 500. Professional Orientation (3)
- CO 508. Pre-Practicum in Counseling (3)
- CO 540. Introduction to School Counseling (3)
- CO 541. Techniques of Counseling (3)
- CO 542. Career Development and Counseling (3)
- CO 543. Counseling Children and Adolescents (3)
- CO 544. Strategies for Crisis Intervention (3)
- CO 545. Diagnostic Techniques in Counseling (3)
- CO 546. Group Counseling (3)
- CO 547. Counseling Multicultural Populations (3)
- CO 548. Practicum in School Counseling (3)
- CO 579. Internship in School Counseling (6)
Total Required: 48 hours
- This program is also offered online.
Program Completion Requirements
The student shall:
- Maintain a minimum grade point average of 3.0 or better in all courses in the approved program as verified on an official transcript with no grade less than “C.”
- Make a satisfactory score on a written comprehensive examination (Praxis II) documenting mastery of the curriculum of the program.