Master of Science in Family Counseling
This degree does not qualify a student for any teaching certificate in the State of Alabama. Out-of-state students should check carefully the certification requirements of their respective states. To be admitted to this program, the prospective student must meet all requirements for admission to the School of Graduate Studies.
I. Required Courses: 12 hours
- ED 504. Techniques of Educational Research (3)
- ED 506. Educational Statistics (3)
- PY 526. Marriage and Family Therapy (3)
- PY 555. Systems Theory in Psychology (3)
II. Base Concentration Electives*: 9 hours
- CO 506. Life-Span Development and Learning (3)
- PY 570. Systems of Psychotherapy (3)
- PY 595. Professional Orientation and Ethics (3)
III. Applied Concentration*: 12 hours
- PY 527. The Therapeutic Relationship (3)
- PY 535. Advanced Techniques in Family Counseling (3)
- PY 563. Assessment Techniques in Family Counseling (3)
- PY 599. Internship in Counseling Psychology (3)
Total Required: 33 hours
- * If a student has UWA graduate course credit for an existing course requirement, alternative courses may be approved by the Department Chairperson.
- This program is also offered online.